Caramelized tempeh with berry, spinach and apple salad



Long, long time ago, in my middle teens, I was enjoying my freedom, youth and endless energy living in London.
I felt like all I had left behind me was so old fashion and kind of boring too, and I was extremely hungry for new experiences and trends.
This clearly includes getting a bit over my Italian eating habits, which at that time were trying to cope with a strict vegetarian diet, a very active lifestyle and the desire to try new things and mix them up with what I had already tried and known in my life.
Having lunch in Portobello on a Saturday morning, I decided to pick something I had never seen or tried before, something with a weird name and possibly never seen or distributed in my own country.
This is how I met Tempeh, a long term friend and protein boost that has been on my side many days of my vegetarian life style.
The real issue came out when I tried to cook Tempeh myself, and turned out nothing like that amazingly dish I had tried at the cafe..
It literally took me something like 10 years to figure out how to make this soy beans based produce eatable and enjoyable..
Well, good news, I have finally made this dream come true.
No more cooking things just because they're healthy and than going back to the fridge looking for some kind of rescue treat for my frustrated palate. This is a dish that most of my friends have approved, and even my very Italian mum had (kind of) enjoyed.
It's light, low fat (4.7 gr in 100 gr), high in protein (15 gr in 100 gr serving size)and if you have time to marinate it overnight this is when it goes from 'boring' to 'exciting'.
I have enjoyed this dish with a nice 'anti botox' salad, which brings antioxidants, simple carbs and colors in your body and life.

Ingredients for 2:

Tempeh:

1 block of Organic Tempeh
2 spoons Tamari sauce
1 spoon grated ginger
Juice of 1 orange
1 spoon Raw maple syrup

Marinate the Tempeh overnight.
In a no stick pan add a tiny bit of Coconut oil and let heat up.
Pan fry the Tempeh until brown, the color is given by the maple and orange caramelization, whist the Tamari gives a nice savory kick, which makes unnecessary the use of salt.

Anti botox salad:

1 Fuji apple or green apple
150 gr fresh blueberry
1 stick of celery
200 gr baby spinach
50 gr rocket
1 Lemon juiced
1 spoon Apple cider vinegar
1 spoon Brown cold pressed flaxseed oil

Cube the apple, rinse and dry the salad in a cotton tea towel (you can store the extra salad in this and I promise it stays green and fresh for three days!!), wash the berries.
In a little bowl squeeze the lemon, add vinegar, pinch of salt and maybe also a bit of black pepper.
Pour over the salad, finish with flaxseed oil and plate up while the Tempeh gets ready and crispy crispy :)
Smile, eat, share, get nourished and spread joy and happiness.