Caprese bianca



'Caprese' means literally ‘from Capri’, which is one of the most beautiful and typical Italian island. It only takes a 40 minutes ferry trip to get to this little island, right in front of Naples, the city where I come from. I used to go to Capri when I was 3 or 4 with my parents, enjoying the extravagant fashion of the 80’s and the lemon strawberry ice cream cones.. Such a classic.
I often make this cake for my gluten free stall around Sydney's markets, but it is also to bring some memories into my house here, so far and so close from my native one. 
This ‘caprese bianca’, or ‘white caprese’, is a fruity version of the traditional ‘Torta caprese’, which is made with dark chocolate and almonds and it is actually a very, very old ‘gluten free cake’.. The lemon version was shown to me by a good friend of my dad, miss Pupa, a woman without a proper chef training but with so much passion, talent and knowledge she could beat many well known chefs all around the world.. I had the chance to be trained in her family owned restaurant in Naples last Christmas, and all we ve been cooking was self produced and local, with recipes older than my grandmother..So inspiring. Her orange and lemon trees are some of the most beautiful plants I’ve ever seen. This cake celebrates my country and regional cuisine heritage.
It is something suitable also to those with gluten intolerance and can be made in a diary free version substituting the butter with 120 ml of light olive oil.


Ingredients for 8

6 free range eggs
180 gr white chocolate finely chopped
200 gr soft butter or 120 ml of Olive oil
180 gr White sugar
50 gr rice flour
18 gr baking powder
200 gr peeled crushed almonds
zest of 4 lemons
juice of 1 lemon

Beat the eggs with the sugar. Add soft butter and mix until pale. Put almonds in a food processor till finely chopped. Gently add processed almonds, lemon zest, baking powder, rice flour, finely chopped white chocolate and lemon juice to the egg and sugar mixture. Combine and pour into a 24cm greased cake tray, covered with baking paper. Bake for 40 minutes at 180°. Allow to cool before serving.